Operating Theatre Nurse
Our Operating Theatre (OT) nurses often work with emergency teams to provide medical care to people wounded in conflict zones or natural disasters. Alternatively, you could join a team providing longer-term surgical care to communities without access to a functioning healthcare system. No matter where you are working, be prepared for the fact that diagnostic equipment and facilities in the operating theatre will be limited – there may not even be an X-ray machine.
As an OT Nurse with Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), you will manage the OT, recovery room and sterilisation team. Close collaboration with surgeons, anaesthetists, hospital ward supervisors and the logistics team is required.
If an emergency arises, that requires your skills; we may ask you to go to the field at very short notice. You may also be on call 24/7 while working in the field. However, we do offer OT Nurses the opportunity for shorter-than-usual assignments.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria
- Minimum 3 years experience in general surgery, trauma, orthopaedics and/or obstetrics
- Familiar with sterilisation and hygiene procedures in the OT
- General knowledge of all OT duties (must be able to train staff and manage the OT)
- Ability to work in a low-tech environment
- Availability for a minimum of 6-8 weeks up to 6 months
- Experience as an OT Nurse Manager
- Available at short notice (in emergencies we may need OT Nurses to leave within 24-48 hours)