About the role of Project Coordinator
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is looking for experienced coordinators for the positions of Field/Project Coordinator (PC) or Head of Mission (HoM), who are available for at least 1 year with flexible start date and no preference for project location.
A Field/Project Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of our medical field projects. A Head of Mission is responsible for all aspects of our medical projects within a country.
The Coordinator is part of the Country Management Team (CMT) that works in close collaboration with the Desk/HQ. The Coordinator takes the lead in:
- Project design and implementation
- Project progress, evaluation, reorientation and closure
- Team coordination and supervision
- Team security
- Information, communication and networking
Responsibilities of the Coordinator include operational management, human resources (HR) management, financial management, communication and representation of Doctors Without Borders to local authorities.
The Coordinator has also delegated responsibilities with regards to the safety & security of all Doctors Without Borders staff in the project or country.
The Coordinator plays a key role in ensuring the quality & appropriateness of the project activities, implementation & evaluation of these activities, and bears witness to the fate of people facing a humanitarian crisis. This contribution gives meaning to Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) social mission.
Tasks and activities of the Coordinator include (but are not limited to):
- Defines within the CMT (and with HQ) the strategy of the mission
- Defines with the field team(s) the project objectives
- Assures the follow-up and respect for the mission/project objectives by the managers of the different Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) activities – medical, logistics and administrative activities
- Stays alert to any humanitarian needs in the country/project and submits new proposals for interventions
- Briefs new arrivals and debriefs departing staff on the political, contextual, programmatic and overall functioning of the mission/project
- Maintains, explains and defends the principles of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) to the staff, the population, the authorities and other partners
- Builds good contacts with medical, civil and military authorities, other NGOs & UN agencies
Project Coordinator Requirements:
- Compliance with Essential Criteria
- Minimum of 3 years recent experience as an expatriate working in field projects, at least 1 year of which was in a field management position within an international humanitarian and/or emergency organisation
- Minimum of 2 assignments in 2 different contexts in developing countries – e.g. (1) insecure context and (2) emergency response situation
- Analytical, strategic thinking skills; capacity to develop an operational vision over the short and medium-term
- Previous experience in project (cycle) management in an NGO or development context
- Ability to work well as part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to take responsibility for delegated security management
- Proven negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated HR management experience in supervising, managing/coaching and training a team with more than 10 staff members
- Positive public communication skills (presentation, meetings, etc)
- Adaptability & flexibility
- Availability to work in the field for a minimum of 1 year with a flexible start date
- Availability for 2 years
- Fluent in languages such as Arabic, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Public Health background/knowledge
- Previous experience in an International Medical organisation